Diary of a Kentucky Cook

Don't forget what is truly important, the simple and basic things in Life. Honesty, Pure Emotions, Gardening, Cooking, the Joy of Creating and sharing Recipes and to be blessed by the majestic beauty of Nature. Once you find out what makes you happy, try to do THAT for a living.

Thursday, April 20, 2006

HOT TERIYAKI BEEF SUB SANDWICHES ON A BUDGET

Today's Menu:

HOT SUB SANDWICHES
CURLY FRIES
GREEN ONIONS
ICED TEA
GRAPEFRUIT



Hello Dear Ones,
Our ceiling fan went out in the kitchen area this week AND our air conditioner is not blowing cool air, I am not going to do a LOT of hot cooking until we can afford to replace at least the ceiling fan. I will be doing mostly crockpot cooking or as I call it - 'crockpotting.'

Since it is a little cooler and raining on Todays menu is teriyaki beef hot sub sandwiches.
You don't have to marinade your beef in teriyaki, but I really like it.
I don't like a lot of spicey flavor, I just like a Lot of flavor.

I was brought up in a house where ketchup was used as a condiment and as a sauce/glaze for meatloaf. The only spices that we had available were butter, bacon grease, salt, pepper and vanilla extract. The most exotic spice we had in the cabinet was paprika, and that was only used to sprinkle on the top of deviled eggs :)

I remember the look on my mom's face when she first tasted one of my authentic Italian dishes,
I believe it was home made manicotti.
I had used fresh italian spices, real cheeses and minced garlic. She was so proud of me.
miss you Mom...

Ok, let's get back to the subs-

You will need:
sub bread ( Since our fan went out and we can't bake any bread today, I bought the french bread
twin packs for 99 cents and will use one for our sandwiches and one for garlic bread for another meal )
I purchased a $3.00 pack of round steak at the grocery*
little olive oil
1 bottle of teriyaki
sliced american cheese
shredded cheeses any variety
a little whipped butter
couple shakes of seasoned pepper
couple of shakes of parmesean & romano grated cheese
(most people down here call it 'shaker cheese')
any of your favorite sides for hot sub sandwiches.


*I cut it the steak into strips, just the right bite size for subs.
Place the strips in a airtight storage bag with enough teriyaki to cover the stips.
I will let them marinade all day or if you are fixing subs for lunch you can let them marinade overnight.

Place the slightly drained beef in a skillet with a little olive oil,
give a few shakes of seasoned pepper.
Cook until meat is done and tender.
Sometimes I will sautee onions and or mushrooms in with the beef.

Preheat oven to 400, I am using 450 only because I need the higher temp for curly fries,
I like for everything to finish cooking at the same time.

I use a cookie sheet lined with foil.
Right before the meat is done I slice the bread lengthwise,
butter the bread, sprinkle with parmesean & romano grated cheese and
place in the oven openface.
Let the butter melt, the bread warm and get light golden.
Remove from the oven and layer the meat and all your cheeses on the openface bread.
I have also place a cooked slice of bacon on the top to add to the taste.

Mix and match or layer your favorite Cheeses:
I have tried
American
White American
provolone
monterey jack
cheddar (both mild and sharp)
shredded Pizza mix
shredded fiesta blend
mozzarella

When the fries are almost done, place the cookie sheet with the subs, back into the oven until the all cheese is melted and the top is golden brown and toasty. Just for a few minutes tho. Keep a close eye on your subs the tops will burn easily. If you are having chips instead of fries,you can use a toaster oven instead of the regular oven to avoid heating up your house. A toaster oven is on my wish list of kitchen appliances. Along with a waffle iron, a griddle, a coffee grinder, an iron dutch oven, a stationery mixer with a stand and...mmm, sorry...I get carried away when I talk about kitchen appliances and utensils.
:)



Additional side ideas to place on the hot sandwiches right before serving:

mayo or miracle whip
mustard, yellow or brown
honey mustard
vinegar and oil
chopped onion
shredded lettuce
tomatoes
cooked bacon
olives, green or black (make sure you drain and rinse the black olives)
jalepenos
pickles
green peppers
mushrooms

the list is endless...


E N J O Y


Return to Diary of a Kentucky Cook Home Page