Diary of a Kentucky Cook

Don't forget what is truly important, the simple and basic things in Life. Honesty, Pure Emotions, Gardening, Cooking, the Joy of Creating and sharing Recipes and to be blessed by the majestic beauty of Nature. Once you find out what makes you happy, try to do THAT for a living.

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

CROCK POT SLOW COOKER PORK ROAST BBQ RECIPE

Hello Friends,

I have always heard how delicious pork barbeque sandwiches were
when using a Pork Picnic roast.
If you are like me, there are several cuts of meat that are available at the store that you have never tried because you either have not been able to afford it, or didn't buy it simply because you didn't know how to fix it.

A local store had a sale on pork roasts so incredible cheap, mmm,
I mean so inexpensive I bought a small one.
I am about to try and make my first slow cooker bbq sandwiches.
With money being so tight, I needed to find a sure and safe way to cook the meat.
We don't waste a thing. Well, once I bought a turkey that ended up as a major catfeast.
You can Read about My turkey disaster here.


Back to talking Pork BBQ.
I looked up the moderately priced Picnic Roast, here is what I found...

"this roast is a fresh cut that comes from the shoulder primal cut and it contains more fat than the blade Boston roast. A well trimmed roast provides a very rich flavor when roasted. Often this cut is smoked and then it is referred to as a picnic ham, although it is not a true ham. This cut is economically priced."


Here is my recipe version for Pork bbq.
It is a compilation of about 4 different recipes, I took out what we don't like.
Things like: sherry, red wine vinegar, chopped celery, bermuda onions, etc...
you get the idea.

I also wanted to use what we had on hand. I had already spent my grocery budget for this month. I have also been wanting to experiment with some peach preserves. If grape jelly can make lil smokies so good, why can't peach make bbq sandwiches sweeeeeeet and delicious.



Tonights Menu:

Crock pot BBQ Sandwiches
bread & butter pickle spears
Regular Potato chips
My original deli creamy coleslaw post
sweet tea
dessert:
green seedless grapes


CROCK POT PICNIC PORK ROAST
BBQ RECIPE

recipe: kentuckycook

1 large or 2 medium onions chopped
3/4 c. water
*1/2 c. peach preserves
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp salt
1 tsp seasoned pepper
scant 1/4 tsp. dry mustard
3 tsp vinegar
1 can tomato sauce
1/2 c. packed brown sugar
2 Tbls A-1 steak sauce

Place roast in crock pot.
sprinkle salt and pepper on roast.
Place remaining ingredients in large bowl and mix well
Pour ingredients over roast.
Cover and cook on High for several hours.
Reduce to med-low and
continue cooking all day.

*I believe this will be my "secret" ingredient
:)


+ Make sure you remove all bones before serving on sandwiches.


Maybe I should repost the slaw for you, some days my
computer is sooooo slow and it takes a bit for pages to load.
Here is a re-post...



CREAMY DELI COLESLAW
recipe: kentuckycook

1 lb of shredded cabbage / carrots
( Can use one 16 oz bag of prepackaged classic cole slaw )
2 Tablespoons milk
1/8 tsp reg salt
1/8 tsp celery salt
1/2 tsp sugar or splenda
1 Tablespoon White vinegar
1/2 + Cup mayonaise

In a bowl mix milk, salt, sugar & vinegar.
Mix well. Add mayo.
Slowly add in shredded cabbage mixture.
We like Creamy Cole Slaw
so we add additional mayo.

Refrigerate for at least 15 minutes before serving.


~~

U P D A T E

The roast in the crock pot / slow cooker is done.
It smells absolutely wonderful !
I am pulling the meat off of the bone and it
makes your mouth water.
All of the bones are out and I am going to let it simmer on low for
a few more minutes.
I served it open faced on sandwich buns...




~My Honey's Critical Critique of tonights menu~

"He said for me to make something up,
cause he's too busy eating bbq sammiches..."



Return to Diary of a Kentucky Cook Home Page

Labels: